We believe that web hosting is more than just providing web space and FTP access. Our aim is to provide individuals and businesses with everything they need to express themselves on the Internet. Whatever you want to create a website for, be it a small family photo album or a full powered database-driven e-commerce website, your choice of web host is essential. The right web host will make the difference between a slow clunky site that has regular downtime and a site that is always available and lightening fast!
Why choose us as your web host
Our purpose built web hosting infrastructure located in the UK is unrivalled for stability and reliability.
You can grow with us
Our web hosting is ideal for a beginner starting their first website through to SMEs demanding their own powerful ecommerce solution.
Constant monitoring and security upgrades
We take our customers’ security very seriously and all software is upgraded within 24 hours of new patches being released.
Excellent customer service
Our support database provides the answers to the majority of web hosting related questions and if you need to get in touch we are on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Value for money
You get full value for your money by using our fully featured hosting technology with no extra cost to you.
You are in control
Our systems is highly automated giving you complete control over your web hosting. Our web hosting control panel is one of the most advanced available today.
Our hosting technology
We only use Dell servers in our web hosting platform. Our platform is designed to be highly redundant, with all data stored in network disk arrays. Data is automatically synchronised between the arrays, so that in the event of an array failing, the remaining array continues to serve data to the servers with no downtime. Each array is also backed up each night to a separate backup cluster, which is then written to tape and stored offsite.
We utilise uninterruptable power supplies and an n+1 generator setup to ensure constant and clean energy to our infrastructure. The data centre is protected by fire suppression, monitored by CCTV both externally and internally, has 24x7x365 onsite security and the building is surrounded by an 8ft perimeter fence.
We are automatically informed of new security patches through our vendor, and patches are applied within 24 hours. Our own platform is scanned each month for application vulnerabilities and we use a network scanner to identify weaknesses in our network.
Managing your website
- Easy to use file manager
- File backup and restore
- Webmail and POP3/IMAP
- Web stats and logs
- Google SiteMap generator
- MySQL and phpMyAdmin
- Schedule tasks
- Full E-commerce software
- One-click installations including WordPress
- Download log files
- Check your account performance at a glance
- And much more !
Our control panel is one of the world’s most advanced web hosting control panels available. These are just some of the great features available to our customers:
Packed full of features:
SmartPhone control panel
Customers can manage their websites and hosting accounts on the move with our exclusive smartphone control panel, which has all the same functionality of the standard control panel. This is free for all our web hosting customers.
- Manage your domain names
- Manage all your web hosting accounts
- View your Webalizer analytics statistics
- Backup and restore your website
- View your invoices
- Set up scheduled tasks
- Log in to your webmail
- View system status updates
- One click install CGI scripts such as WordPress
- Conduct a WHOIS search for a domain name
- And a lot more !
- WordPress is the most popular blogging software available today. It’s easy to install, use, and gives you a great looking blog in minutes.
- BuddyPress is a suite of WordPress social networking plugins and themes to empower you to create your own social network.
- Drupal is a free software package that allows an individual or a community of users easily to publish, manage, and organise a wide variety of content on a website.
- Joomla! is one of the most powerful open source content management systems on the planet. It is used all over the world for everything from simple websites to complex corporate applications. Joomla! is easy to install, simple to manage, and reliable.
- phpBB a high powered, fully scalable, and highly customisable open- source bulletin board package. phpBB has a user-friendly interface, simple and straightforward administration panel, and helpful FAQ.
- Revive Adserver is a hugely popular advertising server designed for web publishers. It gives you the tools you need to make the most from online advertising. With Revive Adserver you will be able to manage sophisticated advertising programs and stay in control of all the advertising on your websites.
The success of your website as our hosting customer is very important to us and with this in mind we also provide our hosting customers with one of the biggest CGI script libraries in the UK including one-click installers WordPress, Joomla!, phpBB, BuddyPress, Revive Adserver, and Drupal.
Web hosting terminology
- Bandwidth: A term used by web hosts to describe how much data can pass from the server your website is hosted on to people visiting your web site. This includes the files that make up your website as well as any data downloaded from databases or media files.
- ccTLD: A country code top level domain name. These domain names are associated with a country or geographic location, e.g. .co.uk (UK), .fr (France), and .cn (China). The ability to register these domain names from another country depends on the registrar’s rules. For example, .co.uk (UK) has no restrictions, whereas .it (Italy) demands you are based in Europe.
- Domain Name System: The system that maps domain names to the corresponding machines’ IP addresses. This system is essentially a phone book that translates human friendly names into computer friendly numbers. Because this information is stored across multiple computers, any updates to a domain (including registration and ownership details) can take up to 48 hours to work its way across all of them.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP): Once you are ready to see what your website looks like online, uploading the files to your web space is really easy and is often as simple as clicking, dragging, and dropping. The method you will use to get your website online is called File Transfer Protocol (FTP). Don’t be put off by the name, all this does is take the files from your computer and put them on to the web host’s server for people to access. Simple! In order to do this your web host may offer an upload function though your account with them, but that means you have to log in every time. A quicker alternative that most people use is FTP software. Some HTML editors come with this built in (e.g. Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expression Web) but even if yours doesn’t, there is an industry standard standalone free software program called FileZilla you can download.”
- HTML: HTML (Hyper Text Mark-up Language) is the first layer of a web page and deals with the content, such as the text, any lists, tables, quotes, and more.
LAMP: LAMP is an acronym used to describe a set of open source software used by many people and
businesses to save money and to prevent platform lock-in.
- Linux: Operating system
- Apache: Web server
- MySQL: Database
- PHP: code
- MySQL: MySQL (owned and developed by Sun Microsystems) is the world’s most popular open source database. It is also part of the open source software stack known as LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
- Subdomain: Subdomain names are domains that are part of the parent domain name. They are free to set up and can be useful if you have areas of your site you want to categorise, e.g. dictionary.domain.com, thesaurus.domain.com.
- TLD: Top Level Domain Names have no association with any countries and were amongst the first to be created, e.g. .com, .net, and .org.
- Web Space: The amount of space allocated to your website by a web host to store all your files and data. The more web space you have the more information you can store.
Some of the most common terms used used in web hosting: